Mogul was started with just $200. I was burdened by student loans and had limited money to place into a bank account that would become the initial funds for Mogul.
With so little funds, I worked multiple underpaying jobs simultaneously; and so, in order to build Mogul's initial version, teaching myself how to code proved a necessity. Our early years were not without challenge, as we fought against the clock to survive. Now, years later, Mogul has become a multi-million dollar company and one of the largest female millennial platforms worldwide.
In partnership with LUNA and in recognition of Equal Pay Day, Mogul is excited to help close the wage gap by providing millions of women around the world with a platform to share information and access opportunities and knowledge from each other. We love how LUNA is collaborating with Lean In to boldly empower, enlighten and encourage women in the workplace. At Mogul, we strive to bring opportunities to the amazing women in our global community as well through the following ways:
- SHARE OF VOICE: Women represent just 15% of share of voice in the US. Mogul encourages women to speak and have courage to share their voices at the earliest stages of their lives and careers.
- ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY: Women represent just 10-20% of top leadership positions. Mogul enables women to gain access to opportunities they would not otherwise have access to; we are therefore accelerating this rate.
- EDUCATION: There are more than 62MM women who do not have access to an education. For every $1 earned, Mogul has partnered with international organizations to provide a free education to 1 woman in need. Courses include those on career and wage negotiation.
While LUNA is doing an incredible job to advocate for equal pay through discounting their bars by 20% with a matched donation that will fund negotiation workshops, we too are empowering our team at Mogul with opportunities and practices that support wage equality.
Not a single person has resigned from Mogul for the past several years, and that has largely been driven by a focus on the following:
- SHARE OF VOICE: We have an open door policy at Mogul, and encourage real-time feedback and communication as well as full transparency. We encourage open dialogue, and that is further reinforced as I take each team member out for breakfast each day to remain connected on a personal level and professional level. We also established a Weekly Wins session each Friday to encourage each member of the company to go around and share their latest innovations and milestones achieved for the week; in addition to ending the week on a celebratory note, this also enables us to gain an immediate sense of where additional reward may be warranted.
- ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY: Just as women make up 80% of our platform, women also make up 80% of our leadership team. We regularly issue raises and bonuses throughout the year for reaching goals, without waiting for annual reviews. We provide unlimited vacation, unlimited sick days, flexible remote, and strong health benefits, to ensure that we can accommodate for women on our team that may have otherwise experienced difficulties and thus can continue accelerating in their careers within their current trajectory. We even provide free cars back to homes for anyone still at the office after 10pm to ensure women's safety and career acceleration. We also regularly consider each team members' personal passions that they might have otherwise conducted on the side, and aim to incorporate these as added responsibilities in their professional day-to-day role in a way that is aligned with our mission and overall organization strategy and goals; in this way, we can also further reward each team member with higher pay: a win-win situation.
- EDUCATION: I regularly walk around the office and ask each department how more I can support them, what more can I teach them. In this way, education flows throughout our organization as I further connect and bond, with everyone from our executives to our interns. With our executives, I also conduct weekly one-on-one meetings to especially provide support and gain a sense of what further tools and software might enhance their professional skill-sets for their role and beyond. For the wider team, we also purchase access to requested software and books for their professional development as well.
Inside and outside the walls of Mogul, it is exciting to continue our work to help women around the world overcome the gender wage gap. And with LUNA at our side, we know we will never stop fighting until there is equal pay.
You Might Also Like
Facebook vs The 'Little' Woman
Kathrine Switzer Women's Trailblazer