Quantcast
Do You See Me? Women and the Media - Mogul

Share Information With Women Worldwide

Connect, share information & access knowledge from millions of women worldwide per week.

Sign Up & Post Now

DoYouSeeMe?WomenandtheMedia

canwetalkqa
canwetalkqa Can We Talk: Sexual Health
8mo Story
Do You See Me? Women and the Media

Where are all the ladies at? Even though women make up approximately 51% of the population, we are stilled underrepresented in the media, not only in front of the camera, but even more so behind the scenes. Men dominate the media, both in front of the camera and especially behind the scenes in positions of power and ownership.

According to the Women’s Media Center’s annual report of the status of women in the media, men account for a whopping 83% of content creation/ownership positions (writers, directors, producers, editors, etc.) in the film and television sector, while women make up a mere 27% of these roles. In print media and news coverage, the underrepresentation of women is also evident. Men accounted for about 62% of all content written in the top 10 newspapers in the country, leaving women with only about 38% of the articles written.

It’s no wonder why the media’s general representation of women is so skewed; the majority of our narrative is being told from the perspective of men (older white men to be exact)! How can we be fairly and accurately portrayed in the media if our story is controlled by and told from the perspective of those who don’t live it or understand it? In order for the prevailing gender inequality problem in the media to improve, we are going to need more women in positions of power and ownership in the media. We can’t influence our narrative if we don’t have a say in how our story is told or how we are portrayed.

Women’s Media Center, created by Jane Fonda, Robin Morgan, and Gloria Steinem, is an organization that is striving to make the media more inclusive for women and to more fairly represent women. The organization aims to accomplish this by first educating the industry and the general public of the issue because no problem can be solved if it is not recognized and understood as an issue in the first place. As people are made aware of the problem at hand, they will be better equipped to make more conscious decisions that will lead to the much needed change in the media's representation of women, and these changes will eventually result in changes in how our society views and treats women.

“Inequality defines our media. Media tells us our roles in society – it tells us who we are and what we can be”. -Julie Burton, President of the Women’s Media Center.

You Might Also Like



2 comments

  • Carmen Mackins
    Carmen Mackins PR & Writing Consultant
    8mo ago

    Thank god for Mogul! Am I right? Seriously though, this is so important. It's time for women to be recognized for the influential people that we are and tell our stories the right way.

    Thank god for Mogul! Am I right? Seriously though, this is so important. It's time for women to be recognized for the influential people that we are and tell our stories the right way.

    • canwetalkqa
      canwetalkqa Can We Talk: Sexual Health
      8mo ago

      I totally agree Carmen. Thanks for your comment.

      I totally agree Carmen. Thanks for your comment.


Report this post
Report this post
canwetalkqa
Can We Talk: Sexual Health

Breaking down sexual health barriers by speaking on taboo topics and providing you with credible resources and personal stories.

Want an amazing job or internship?

Join millions of women who have found their dream jobs and internships on Mogul.

Get A Top Job Now

Trending Jobs

See All Jobs


Trending Questions

See All Questions
/