What do Taylor Swift and your next bounce-back plan have in common? No, unfortunately, it’s not a Grammy-winning breakup album; it’s the satisfaction of burning the remnants of your past relationship. I mean, if Taylor finds burning things therapeutic (think “Just Another Picture to Burn” circa 2009), it must be so. So, here are the top reasons why burning ex-related stuff should be part of your bounce-back plan… and when it gets pyromaniac. In the words of T-Swift herself, “So watch me strike a match on all my wasted time. As far as I’m concerned, you’re just another picture to burn!”
When It’s Okay
It feels good to burn things you possess that remind you of an unpleasant past. Here are the top reasons why:
- You’re no longer anchored to your past. You’re probably not be the same person who once possessed these things. By burning them, you metaphorically make a statement that you are no longer associated with your past. Which brings us to our next point…
- It’s liberating. Watching these old sentiments burn and flutter away as tiny ashes can make you feel light and free.
- You can move on, and not be constantly reminded of what didn’t work out. In letting go of these things, you can embrace life and new things. On to bigger and better things!
- There is something powerful about burning the past, as you are kind of showing it who’s boss and who’s really in control. It didn’t work out with your ex, but at least you can make a statement that it’s truly over.
When It’s Crazy
It gets on the crazy side when you’re burning things to make other people feel a certain way. For example, you burn his car to make him hurt. That is a tad extreme, and not to mention, can get you in some serious trouble with the law. Here a few more reasons erring on the crazy side:
- You’re angry. Okay, anger is completely understandable, but just keep in mind that getting over a breakup is about making yourself feel better, not making someone else hurt.
- You are seeking revenge. However tempting it may be to light your ex’s most precious keepsake on fire, just remember: the best revenge is a hot bod.
- It’s exciting. This seems like it can go real bad, real fast. You shouldn’t be seeking thrills through setting fire to things. Maybe you should try Six Flags, Magic Mountain instead.
You Might Also Like
9 Sure Signs It Is Time To Let Go of Your Ex
This is my letter to you, the boy who emotionally destroyed me
Never Liked It Anyway is the sassy, powerful, and playful eBay for breakups — the place to go to buy, sell, and tell all things ex. It's the number one resource for moving on and bouncing back to your most fabulous self.