It was my birthday just this past Tuesday and I turned 22. It’s exciting, liberating and just a tad bit scary.
I mean, I thought I would somehow feel a little different, but I still feel like I’m 16, carrying the title of an “adult.”
I don’t have squat together and I feel like there is a slight rush at times to meet certain milestones, but I’m learning how unrealistic this thought is more and more every day.
I’ve grown so much over the years and although growth can be uncomfortable and overwhelming at times, it is liberating.
There are so many lessons that you can learn every single day and these lessons don’t even have to come from drastic life experiences. The best path for us in life can be revealed by paying close attention to our actions and making the changes necessary to achieve what we want.
Here are 22 things I’ve learned about life so far:
- Being on time is so important; it’s not always about you.
- You are going to have some embarrassing moments, but it will make you stronger.
- You may not be where you want to be by a certain age, so just go with the flow.
- Stop expecting everyone to like you.
- Social media breaks are needed.
- Nobody’s life is perfect and your friends are going through the same thing.
- Believe in yourself and be your own cheerleader. Not everyone is going to root for you.
- You are different for a reason; to fulfill the purpose for your life.
- The world is cold, but don’t let it harden your heart.
- There is no specific timeline for milestones; go at your own pace.
- People may get jealous of you, but don’t let them dim your shine.
- What you wear matters.
- You are going to make some mistakes, but slowly you will get over it.
- Comparing yourself to others will happen, but try and control it. It just robs you of your happiness.
- Loving yourself before anyone can love you is so important.
- Spending time alone isn’t praised enough; you can really learn a lot about yourself.
- People will let you down, but learn and move on from it.
- You will grow apart from your friends, but that doesn’t mean the friendship lacks value.
- Your grades don’t define you; you are still intelligent.
- Stop being so hard on yourself.
- People aren’t judging you as much as you think;they are too focused on themselves.
- Your life has purpose even if you aren’t where you want to be yet.