Tala’s mission is to improve the financial lives of millions of people in developing markets by creating new, accessible financial services that are most relevant to their needs. We are quickly growing in new markets and looking for outstanding people to join our team.
As part of launching new markets, Tala runs a Product Fellow program to embed young talent in the local market and help us drive product iterations. As Product Fellow, you will live in the local markets and develop deep local expertise, while plugging back into our Santa Monica home base to translate that into product iterations. In this program, you may move between markets once each assignment is complete. This is a 1-2 year role with potential growth into Product Manager.
We are looking for a whip-smart and self-driven Product Fellow for our efforts in Mexico. The position is based in Mexico City, and is open to American as well as Mexican citizens.
- Be the persistent connection between the Product team and the local markets. Live for months at a time in the new markets
- ⅓ Associate Product Manager, ⅓ researcher, and ⅓ relationship builder
- Prior to market launch, help conduct and synthesize market research and user research
- During launch, evaluate all iterations of the product on-the-ground - validate designs from prototype through high-fidelity stages
- Contribute to product spec writing and user acceptance testing for new product builds
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with in-country product partners, and bridge the local Tala perspective and Tala Santa Monica
- Self-motivated - You have the self-management to drive projects on your own (while working remotely and in a foreign country), and to overcome dead-ends when needed
- Fast learner - You thirst for and thrive on new learning opportunities, and have demonstrated experience coming up the curve quickly
- Versatile analyst - You love bringing data to tackling product-market fit questions. You can distill massive amounts of info down to key insights and drive hypothesis formulation. You are as comfortable working with qualitative user research as well as quantitative data sets.
- Master communicator - You are a storyteller, your verbal communications skills are top-notch, and your presentations are top-notch
- Collaborator - You can work closely with cross-functional teams and users to translate market inputs into product requirements
- Detail oriented - You are thorough and have a sense for even the most minute details
- Relationship builder - You can establish rapport and maintain relationships with local partners
- Comfortable with ambiguity - You can handle the ambiguities of being in a startup environment and prioritize accordingly
- At least 1-2 years experience in high-performing environments, e.g. top-tier consulting firm, high-performing startups, your own startup
- Willingness to live in developing markets for months at a time and travel frequently
- Fluent bilingual in English and the language of the market (in this case, Spanish)
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Familiarity with consumer financial services industry or fintech
- Product management experience
Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to deliver financial access, choice and control to underserved people around the world. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others.