Who is Stanley Black & Decker?
We are the leader in tools and security. We are Stanley Tools. We are DEWALT. We are Mac Tools. We are Porter-Cable. And we are much more. We are the doors that protect you at airports. We are the lock and deadbolt on your front door. We are the hydraulic breakers that rescue trapped earthquake survivors. We are the people on the phone in an emergency. No matter where you live, what car you drive, what stores you shop at, or what building you work in, you can bet that we had a hand in making it work. And you can guarantee that we’ll keep making it work.
Within the Hand Tools & Storage division of Stanley Black & Decker we are currently looking for an Industrial Designer to join our Industrial Design Team. In this role, you are a key member of the Industrial Design team, and will work side-by-side with other industrial designers, engineers and product managers to develop desirable products from concept to reality. The Industrial Designer will be responsible for aiding in the design and development of new products and for concept development, product identity and aesthetics.
This position calls for an organized, passionate and flexible designer with the desire to be a part of a design driven organization that is continuing to evolve. Ideal candidates should be self-motivated individuals that have a strong understanding of design principles, and excellent sketching and visualizing skills.
- Aid in design research and identify consumer profiles for targeted industries and markets.
- Assist in the Engineers in solving design problems relating to the user experience, usability, and appearance.
- Deliver sophisticated aesthetic approach that balances an understanding of user experience and an awareness of emerging trends.
- Create detailed design sketches and drawings to convey design intent to internal engineering and external production sources.
- Present ideation and concepts to internal staff.
- Builds working prototypes from design specifications.
- Responsible for testing and validating concepts and prepare concept renderings.
- Develop and maintain familiarity with materials and processes used in the industry and manufacture of Stanley Black & Decker products.
- Have working knowledge of the New Product Development process as it relates to design.
- Ability to utilize/ translate user based research data into viable design solutions.
- BS or BFA in Industrial Design
- Minimum of 3 years’ of professional experience.
- Must have portfolio that showcases a thoughtful creative process.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficient in KEYSHOT and 3D modeling software (Solidworks/Creo/Pro-E is preferred)
- Excellent sketching and form development skills, comfortable sketching on digital devices as well as traditional hand sketching.
- Strong understanding of design principles with a strong aesthetic sense
- Strong understanding of color, materials, and finishes as it applies to product design.
- Must have a “can-do” attitude – the desire to go above and beyond in all you do!
- Consumer Products Experience
- Basic understanding of ergonomics and end user experience
- Basic understanding of manufacturing processes as it relates to design
We provide women at Stanley Black & Decker with an environment where they are empowered to:
- Pursue career advancement opportunities.
- Achieve leadership positions.
- Have access to resources to support their professional development.
As an employee at Stanley Black & Decker, you can join a local Chapter of the Stanley Black & Decker Women's Network! Also, follow us on Twitter here: @sbd_women
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Since 1843, we’ve set the standard for excellence in everything we do. No company on earth has a stronger or more compelling history of delivering the hardworking, innovative, powerful tools that help professionals around the world build, repair, and protect the world’s most valuable objects.