The Director of Technical Services helps lead the team that is responsible for cultivating our customers’ success and has a direct impact on our company’s growth.
The Technical Services team is responsible for providing advice and support for MongoDB, the most popular next-generation database, in use across a wide variety of industries and use-cases. Successful members of the Technical Services team will not only be comfortable diving into uncharted waters but will be excited to solve the problems our diverse customers face. Technical Services team members must apply strong problem solving skills, diverse technology experience, and knowledge of MongoDB products and applications in order to assist in the implementation and troubleshooting of a wide range of innovative customer applications and environments, from Squarespace to Morgan Stanley to the City of Chicago and everywhere in-between. At the end of the day, as the lead of this team, you’ll be able to look at these groundbreaking applications and say that your team directly contributed to their success.
The Technical Services team that you’ll manage at MongoDB is responsible for ensuring customer success in their use of MongoDB through:
- consulting on application or schema design
- optimizing performance and solving scalability issues
- resolving production outages
- designing and reviewing operational procedures like business continuity plans
- explaining the internals of MongoDB
The Director, Technical Services must have the technical skills to understand the various issues above, as well as the leadership ability to help build, mentor, and grow the rest of the Technical Services team. The MongoDB staff have a fanatical commitment to our customers’ success and it’s important that you share that.
The Director, Technical Services reports into the Area Vice President for the Americas and will be supervising the core technical services engineers in their region.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong management and leadership skills, with hands-on experience building and running small to mid-sized teams in a rapidly growing environment
- Practical experience running a technical support team or organization, including experience coordinating high profile customer escalations, collaborating with other internal engineering departments, and working closely with sales teams
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- The ability to think on your feet, remain calm under pressure, and solve problems in real-time
- Strong diagnostic/ troubleshooting process, with experience troubleshooting real, end-to-end technical issues
- Drive customer success by leading the team in solving challenging technical problems, all the way from design through to production operations. This includes managing their team’s workflow, assisting on hands-on customer issues, and managing both internal and external escalations
- Grow and lead a distributed regional team, including coordinating, mentoring, and actively recruiting new members of the team. This includes performing resume reviews, phone screens, and in-person interviews, making hiring decisions, running local team meetings, and providing regular mentoring and guidance to their team
- Interface with the various departments in the company and represent the Technical Services team in those interactions, being a champion for our customers and for our company’s success
- Contribute to global projects, which can include various aspects of program management including process, automation, and tooling
The Director of Technical Services will be successful in this role if they steadily build a solid team that directly contributes to our customers’ success. After a ramping period they should first begin to build internal relationships across departments to help coordinate work and responses to customer issues, and later begin to establish relationships with key customer accounts to allow for proactive, positive communications and engage with them before escalations are required. In scenarios where escalations are unavoidable, the Director of Technical Services will be able to successfully lead the escalation response, including assembling a response team, coordinating their work, communicating both to the customer and to executive management, and ensuring that we learn from the situation in an effort to constantly improve the way we support our customers.
We work as a team––creating an open forum for innovative thought, candid discussion, and mutual respect. But in the end, we always put commitment over consensus, and value excellence in all its wonderful forms.