About the Role
Lifehacker, Gizmodo Media Group’s lifestyle site with 14 million monthly users, is looking for an experienced editor to work alongside our editor in chief to help the site broaden its coverage and lead it into its next chapter.
The ideal applicant is super-curious, as passionate about how to find the best pair of jeans as they are about secret tricks for getting the cheapest flight. They can explain in a way that's entertaining and engaging stuff that might, in lesser hands, come off as boring. They have strong opinions; a witty, conversational writing voice; and an unstinting editorial eye.
We are looking for person who eager to grow a team of writers, to expand the topics that Lifehacker has traditionally covered, and to help shape our video and podcasting content. They will be completely comfortable with the editorial process—from pitch to publication to promotion and discussion. Their talents will be both editorial and managerial, and they should be comfortable overseeing Lifehacker at any given time. This role requires a person who can manage, edit, write, and motivate a team; is adept in a fast-paced, digital news environment; and has big ideas about what a service-oriented lifestyle brand should accomplish and can be.
Lifehacker is a key property within GMG both in terms of audience and revenue, and this is a senior hire.
Who You Should Be
The ideal candidate will:
- Have significant experience writing and editing for a fast-paced news or lifestyle outlet with a diverse audience
- Have hiring and managing writers in a growth environment
- Be organized, detail-oriented, and an ambitious manager and writer
- Be knowledgeable about video and podcasting and eager to help Lifehacker translate its content on new platforms
- Be comfortable running a large website and excited to help the website grow in both output and audience
- Respond nimbly to cultural and news events with appropriate stories
Gizmodo Media Gorup thrives on diversity of thought and we welcome candidates of all backgrounds to offer unique perspective and skills!